Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Does make up expire?

I was watching the Tyra bank show today. I was so ticked off at the misinformation on one segment about women who don't throw out their make up. Yes we are all guilty of hanging onto stuff way too long. But she continued to quiz the audience about the shelf life of everything from lipstick, cleanser, to mascara.

I'm a make up artist. If I threw out my foundations every 3 months like she suggested I would be spending astronomical amounts replenishing my kit. RIDICULOUS! Yet again another show spreading propaganda so you buy more product. (sponser..Cover Girl, shocking!)

Here are the facts. If you treat your make up like I do, no cross contamination, leave the caps on, refrigerate liquids when not in use and use brushes and sponges. Your make up will last three times longer.

Liquid Foundation, 12 months ( most people will use it up sooner then that)

Cream foundation/Concealer, 2 years. Keep in cool dry place use clean applicators or scrap out what you need and apply.

Mascara, 3-4 months. It dries out and will have bacterial growth by that time. Don't pump air into the tube, Keep tightly closed.

Lipstick, Gloss 2-4 years or more depending on quality. I have some MAC lipsticks that I have had for 8 years they are fine. I remove my lipsticks and put them into pallets that cover. I scrape out what I need on a stick and apply with a brush. If you use the tube on your lips, it will expire faster and grow bacteria. ( I still have tubes I uses directly on my mouth but I go through them in less then a year)

Powders, eye shadows. 4 or more years. If you store them in a airtight, dark place out of moisture. They can last forever depending on their oil content.

Liner pencils. 4+ years. Keep the lid on. Keep them in a cool dry place. (they will melt or get crumbly)

Liquid Liner. 6 months, they dry out and will get bacterial growth.


Nail polish, 1 year. You will know it! (separate or thicken.)

Finally WASH you brushes!!! Every month or more. Soak them in a mild shampoo in your bathroom sink. Use fingers to work out any creamy product (with extra shampoo) Do a soaking. Rinse 2 times. Then shape the brushes with your fingers so they retain the shape. Air dry on a towel overnight. In between I dip my brushes in alcohol once a week to kill any bacteria.

DON'T SHARE YOUR MAKE UP!!! Unless you take cross contamination precautions. Herpes people! 80% of the human population have Oral Herpes otherwise know as cold sores. (and yes oral herpes can turn into genital herpes if you get it/have an outbreak and kiss etc your partner) and Pink Eye are the most common infections/virus's you could get with sharing or using expired/ unsanitized make up and brushes.

No comments:

Post a Comment