Monday, April 13, 2009

Hair Salon Hell

Bad hair days? Hair slut? ( hopping around from chair to chair you hussy!) Do you find that when you speak to your stylist you may as well speak Klingon? Well you are not alone. Many of us are unsatisfied with the services we pay good money for. How does one find a decent stylist/colourist when there are so many over whelming choices out there. Here are some tips/questions on trying to find the right person for YOU!

1. Determine the hairstyle and be prepared. Do a bit of research. If this means looking for pictures..it's OK! most stylist love visuals. A pic speaks a thousand words. I see so many people everyday that say "I don't know what I want" Then I have to play CSI for the next 10 minutes. You can't complain if you don't give someone direction.

2. Lifestyle. Are you funky, classic or conservative? High maintenance or a ponytail girl? Workout or blowout queen? Get real with what kind of work you're willing to put into the cut you get. If you know you are not going to flat iron your thick curly hair into that geometric bob everyday AND get it trimmed every 6 weeks, this is not a good option for you. Having a good cut/colour is the START of good style.

3. Ask your friends, co workers or that girl at Starbucks, "where do you get you hair done?" If you see someone on the street with hair you like, ask them! Search the net for reviews. Do you want a quiet spa, a simple studio, a euro chain, or a rocking trendy shop? Check if they have a website for price menus and photo's.

4. Expensive does not mean the best. Junior and intermediate stylists usually have the most recent training. They are up on the latest trends and techniques. Location has a lot to do with what you will pay as well. Plus there are many seniors that don't charge highway robbery. For instance, I only charge $65 for my cuts. I find that this is affordable for most. I get a great cross section of people from students, entertainers, lawyers, PR, artists and hipsters. I also find that people are more likely to maintain their hair instead of thinking it's a treat.

Ok now you found a place what next?

Ask for a consultation, They are usually free. I suggest you book it and not walk in. It may be too rushed. Bring your research with you.

Try to be positive. If you have had a bad experience try not to assume the new stylist will do the same thing to you. It is bad mojo...and stresses the stylist out. Never good. Give the history of your hair and BE HONEST!

If you don't like what they have to say, they seem distracted/indifferent or don't listen to you. You are not obligated to see them. Find someone else.

Make sure that before you begin any service, that you both have a clear idea of what is to be done and how much it will cost and the maintenance both physically and financially.

Not every stylist will get it perfect the first time. Sometimes it takes a couple cuts for the them to get the feel for you hair or personality. (Unless it's horrible) If it doesn't click after 3 cuts, move on.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love this 3-cut-rule. I changed jobs and I can no longer get to the stylist I love due to her hours and the location. Since then I have gone through 3 other stylists and each time I think, "It's OK but not even close to what I'm used to." I need to remember to give the stylist 3 times before I move on to the next. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete