Monday, April 13, 2009

My top ten beauty picks for every budget


As beauty junkie I love to know what is in my friends make up bag. I'm going to give you guys an idea of my top ten beauty essentials I can't live without. High price range and low price range.

1. My FHI flat iron. $250 I wash my hair like once a week. (yuk to some, but I have my hair trained to not get oily, I also save $ on shampoo and conditioner I go through 2 bottles a year, I style my hair one or twice a week, gives me more time to sleep, my colour never fades as well) As this is not possible without my trusty iron. The cheaper option is the Babyliss Tormaline iron which you can find at most consummer beauty supplies for less the $100

2. Dermologica, skin resurfacing cleanser.$48 It's an exfoliating cleanser I use one or two pumps. It's non irritating and a treat. Lasts me 4 months. The other FAVE, and I can't live without these is Life Brand cleansing cloths. $12 Quick make up removal for cheap!!

3. Kerastase Bain Mirror $30 and Chroma Reflect Masque $50 Luxury!!!! It makes my hair soft and super shiny and I said worth it as a bottle lasts me 6 months. At drugstore level I'm a fan of Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine $4-6 Smells great and again leave my hair soft and shiny. It can be heavy for most people though.

4. Dermologica Instense Moisture Balance. $75 Again depending on how much I use, it's great in the day under make up, or at night. My first love and Still my summer ritual is Oil of Olay Daily SPF 15. $12 I use the lotion, the cream is too heavy.

5. Bare Essentuals spf 15 mineral foundation. $30 It's the best of the minerals I have used, It's all in one and the more you use the better coverage. It lasts forever. Looks super natural and it's great in the summer. L'oreal Bare Naturale $15 is the best drugstore I have used. the texture is kinda lumpy, but it gives great coverage and spf.

6. Neutrugena ultimate sport block, SPF 70. $18 Yes 70! I don't take chances with the sun. And based on the compliments I get on my skin it's well worth it. I am 35 and have zero wrinkles. I prefer the spray, it's nice even coverage for the hard to reach spots. The other is No Ad Babies SPF 50. It's a lotion, fragrance free and hypo allergenic, waterproof. It's 8 bucks for 16ozs

7. Make Up Forever, black matte eyeshadow. $21 This is the smooooothest shadow I have ever used. Is heavily pigmented, stays put and a pan lasts forever. I use it every day. It's my eyebrow powder, liner and for nights out my smoky eye pal. Plus the pan is double the size of MAC. Then there is MAC, carbon eyeshadow $17 another basic black. It's good but I find that it falls apart when you get to the end, it's a waste and annoying.

8. Lancome, Hypnose Mascara.$28 Love!!! Simple basic mascara. thickening, lengthening and no clumping. Only pet peeve is that it dries out quickly. :( Maybelline Volume Express $8 is my absolute fave drugstore find and it's always on sale.

9. MAC powder blush. I have several depending on my application that day. It lasts all day, and blush for me is a must. If I don't wear it I look like the walking dead. I hate to say that I don't use anything else but Mac in this area, it costs $21, but it will last you for years. Well worth it if you get a nice neutral shade.

10. Best for last. The one thing in the world I cannot live without is RED lipstick. Not for the faint of heart. I do wear several colours as well, but Red is a classic that every women should have. I have about 10 tubes in different colours and finishes. My faves, Christian Dior Rouge Dior, Celebrity Red $28 (neutral red) I prefer long lasting lipsticks and this one's texture is like silk. Second would be MAC Ruby Woo matte.$16.50 (orange red) bright, long lasting but the texture is drying so I use this more in the evening. The there's MAC RED. (blue red) I semi matte that is also nicer wearing and dramatic. Drugstore is a hard one. I find there are very few true reds out there. The can be too sheer, or cheap (bleed, dry out lips) The one I like the most is Rimmel, Red Hott. $ 7 (orange red) It's a satin finish, nice and creamy, stays put with a liner.

7 comments:

  1. Hi. Since you write that you have your hair trained to not get oily, that sounds similar to what I hear from people who are doing the "no shampoo thing", where they use baking powder and apple cider vinegar? As a pro, have you come across people who do this, and what do you think about it? Are there any chemical risks to having baking soda residue in hair before doing any kind of chemical treatments?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a many ways one can go without shampooing. Over the course of ten years I have gone as long as possible without washing my hair. (a bit of cornstarch to soak up oil after a couple days if needed.) After a period of time, the scalp no longer produces the oil it used to. (it does not smell either.) Over shampooing strips the natural balance and causes our body to overproduce oil. Women used to only have thier hair set once a week back in the day. It was not until the 70's that we became obsessed with OVER cleaning, and products. As for vinegar and backing soda. It is a nice nice to remove excess oil or product build up. The acid in the vinager leaves the hair shiny. I would leave it as a treat though. There are no chemical risks, but too much of anything can upset the natural scalp balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi HOF!!

    Wondering where one would pick up a FHI flat iron??

    ReplyDelete
  4. This depends on where you live. http://www.fhiheat.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the great tips, it's altruistic of a pro to share with the common plebe / fellow person. :)

    I have a great flat iron, but not a great hand-held blow-dryer for my medium length hair. Lately I've switched to mostly all natural shampoos, and trying to go a few days between cleaning. But my hair seems to be weighed down, as if the shampoo is not washing out (I rinse thoroughly in the shower). Thought maybe blow drying might help (rather than letting it air dry naturally)? Can't stand the texture of my hair now, even though I switch between various 'natural' shampoos.
    (note: Salon recommended natural shampoo b/c I colour my hair frequently to hide grey and apparently non-natural shampoos strip the colour quickly)

    Any suggestions as to what the problem might be*, and would you be so kind to recommend a really good hair dryer?
    http://www.folica.com/Hair_Dryer_95_1.html

    *could come in for a consult if that is better

    ReplyDelete
  6. Solano make a great inexpensive pro dryer, I always check ebay/ winners ( if you are in Canada) for great deals on tools. T3 bespoke travel dryer is nice as well. They are both under 100 bucks.

    As for Natural shampoo/conditioner. hmmmm depends on the brand and if it actually is "natural" One thing I do know is that a true natural product should not sudz up ( as it will not have Sodium Laural Sulfate/ or simalar detergent.) No Parabens and other artificial stuff. You need to use a lot to get it to actually clean your hair. As it lacks a surfactant ( bubbles remove oil and dirt ) So your hair may actually have a build up of natural oils combo of your own and the product. It could be making it flat.

    I am none too keen on these ( they are raely what they claim to be) but I have managed to find one semi natural, Wen Shampoo/conditioner in one. It's mail order but I love it for thick/medium coloured hair. And L'Oreal has come out with sulfate free shampoo. Which should help with the colour.

    I recomend that you do buy a clarifing shampoo. (Neutrogena, or Aveda Brillant) Use it right before you plan on colouring, It will remove and build up and because you are colouring the next day you need not worry about it stripping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks! That sounds good. I'm all for being chemical free, but honestly I miss the lather.

    The Salon said that I was "probably using too much" as their answer. However, with the WEN Healthy Hair Care System, you apparently have to use quite a lot -- deep rinse before, work it in and leave it on while you shower (min 3-5 minutes), then rinse off.

    Hopefully ’Oreal Ever Pure Sulfate Free Shampoo & Conditioner for Color Treated Hair" works, I'll give it a try. If not, I'll try WEN (price seems reasonable).

    Looks like there are a few Solano products to choose from. I'm in Toronto, so I will check ebay / Winners! :)
    http://www.folica.com/brands/solano_5.html

    I appreciate the advice! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete